Over the past few weeks our Outdoor Lighting Perspectives executives and support team have been working closely with one of the most thoughtful candidates any of us have worked with in a long time. The whole process has made me think about how we characterize our ideal franchisee.
Historically, we have listed several of the characteristics we look for in potential Outdoor Lighting Perspectives franchisees.
Those characteristics include :
• Man or woman, could be a husband and wife team
• 35-50 years of age
• College educated, usually with a four-year degree
• Background in business management, customer service, high-end premium retail,
• Evidence of leadership success in career and/or community, ideally with hiring and firing responsibility and budget unit P&L responsibility
• Management experience preferred
• Strong desire to build and manage a strong business versus a “boutique business” or “sole proprietorship”
• Above average acumen, skill and comfort with computers and technology
• Often a “corporate refugee” seeking increased control and financial independence
• Motivated by an environment of not being trapped in an office or retail store
• Very motivated to be own boss and have control over schedule
• Understands and is comfortable with the ideal of relationship building to develop long-term trade alliance partners in the local market
Personally, I think this is a pretty basic list upon comparison to our newest member.
While our newest franchisee certainly has every one of the above listed characteristics he also has a few others that help set him apart from the rest and certainly will help him as he begins his newest life challenge.
First and foremost, he is a people person; by that I mean he easy to understand naturally builds relationships. He is also relatable; which is another key indicator that he is a people person and will succeed in networking and building trade alliances. I also believe he will be an excellent voice in his community; which are all key indicators that he is indeed a people person.
In addition he is also thoughtful, careful and cautious. He is someone who likes direction and enjoys having a safety net but also can mitigate risks to ensure he will be successful. Throughout the education and discovery process, he consulted industry professionals to make sure he was asking the right questions. The due diligence he conducted to ensure he made an educated decision further proves that he does not enter into new decisions blindly.
If you have similar qualities, like being outdoors and are looking for a new challenge, Outdoor Lighting Perspectives could be the perfect franchise opportunity for you!